Water Hygiene guidance for buildings or sites closed or subject to reduced occupancy
The Government has produced a bulletin entitled Water Hygiene guidance for buildings or sites closed or subject to reduced occupancy. The aim of the bulletin is to highlight water hygiene considerations in buildings and on sites where reduced occupancy has significantly decreased water consumption. This is because when buildings are closed or have had a reduced occupancy there is the potential to see an impact on water hygiene water quality.
Within the bulletin the Government state that;
“All buildings and sites with reduced occupancy due to personnel working from home or furloughed during the COVID-19 emergency measures. The following legislation, Standards and ACoPs place a duty of care on the Employer to ensure a safe working environment for employees and visitors:
- Health and Safety at Work etc Act
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations
- The Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations
- Water Bylaws and Regulations
- Building Act 1984
- ACOP L8 The Control of Legionella Bacteria in Water Systems
- HSG 274 The Control of Legionella Bacteria in Hot and Cold-Water Systems.
- BS 8680 – 2020 – Water Quality – Water Safety plans – Code of Practice
- BS 8558 – 2015 – Guide to the design, installation, testing and maintenance of services supplying water for domestic use within buildings and their curtilages –
- Complementary guidance to BS EN 806
- Legionella Control Association – A Code of Practice.
National Lowdown Implications
Due to the COVID 19 latest lockdown some MOD buildings and sites have been closed. This was to comply with Government guidance. The majority of staff have been requested to work from home, leaving building use for essential attendance only; or as in the case of a number of sites, empty.
Your Responsibility as Service Manager / Building Manager
Changes in Legionella risk must be considered at an early point in planning and closure arrangements. We highly recommend developing a full Legionella risk mitigation plan. Legionella management is key to keeping water systems safe at all times. We can work with you to recommission the water system back to safety and following that set up annual Legionella risk assessments to ensure you remain compliant thereafter.
Read the full article here.
Set-up a Legionella Risk Assessment Today
If you would like advice on ensuring the water system you look after is compliant please contact us today. We can discuss the services we offer and provide a no-obligation quote. Complete the form below or contact us.