Chlorine has been used as a disinfectant for over 100 years. It is an established, robust and reliable solution to preventing the spread of disease in public water. Today, chlorine is still a widely-used disinfectant used by the water industry to maintain water hygiene conditions in public supplies.
In short, it is perfectly safe to use chlorine in drinking water because it is only metered at very low levels, while much higher levels are used in the leisure and healthcare industries. Compared to other countries, chlorine levels in England and Wales